Sunday, April 23, 2017

The March for Science

Ready to go

I had scheduled a trip north for several reasons including an event at UMass in Amherst on April 29th. So I extended the trip to include the March for Science in Washington, DC. I have friends and family there so this was a logical stopping place for a couple of days.  I had a "There is No Planet B!!" sign made and I dug out my old lab coat from my days as a botany grad student--I'd embroidered it with plants including a fern up the back, so I'd kept it all these years for some reason, so now I know its real purpose. :-)

Here are some of the photos I took of the event. It was misting in the morning but it was supposed to start clearing around noon. It did not; it rained harder and at times quite hard, but the weather did not scare too many people away. Fortunately, I'd carried my poncho.



Family Science With my new friend, Deb from Gainesville, FL

Knitting while listening to speakers is efficient The Lorax speaks for the trees.

Huge crowd!

The Plight of the bumble bees Black girls scientists

Plant milkweed for the monarchs

On the march, many people stopped at the EPA building to show support Science hats!

The light bulb on his hat turned on & off As the world turns: Break the cycle Rise Above, Focus on Science
& on her leg "Support truth Support Science 

Whether you are right wing or left wing, you need entomologists

Science Creates new technology, Finds cures, Improves agriculture,Reveals the unimagined Beaker stands up for science (I am a member of the Union of Concerned Scientists.)

I march for chemistry periodically Hypothesis & conclusion. Science can't be stopped.

It's getting HOT in here... Plant Peace & The Environment comes first

Eradicate more diseases ~ Fund Science! On her hat were models of disease-causing germs Extinction is a disaster; prevent it thru science

Make Earth Cool again & There's no place like home Dinosaurs probably thought that they has plenty of time, too!

The march ended at the capitol.
I was on my feet from 9am to 4:30pm, mostly in the rain. It was a really long day, but in seeing and talking to such a great diversity of people interested in supporting science, I'm optimistic for our future.

Please do what you can to support science from letting your representatives know that you think it's important to actively working to improve the planet. Gardening may not seem so important, but just remember that for every pound of food that you grow, you save 2 pounds of greenhouse gas emissions. The potential for urban household vegetable gardens to reduce greenhouse gas emissions

Green Gardening Matters,
Ginny Stibolt

2 comments:

  1. Proud of you Ginny!! I loved seeing all the signs and the strength of the marchers. And so heartening to be surrounded by people who feel as passionate as you do about this issue. This brings back my own memories of the Women's March in January except we were blessed with good weather and no rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonnie. Yes, it would have been much more pleasant without the rain, but participants were enthusiastic and cheerful anyway.

      Delete